This upcoming weekend – 13-15 September – there will five Baseball Atlantic Championships teams from Prince Edward Island will be participating in, as well as the Baseball Canada National Atlantic 13U Championships where two Island teams will be representing PEI in Dartmouth, NS from 12-15 September. Here is a preview of the teams representing PEI:
- Baseball Atlantic 15U “AAA” Championships: Summerside Chevys
- Coached by Rob McCormack and Mikeal Thomas, the Chevys finished the regular season tied for first at 10-5 and won the Tanner Craswell Memorial Trophy as the Provincial 15U “AAA” Champion, going 4-0 in Provincials. Combined with excellent performances in tournaments against 15U “AAA” teams from other provinces, Summerside is confident heading into the Baseball Atlantic 15U “AAA” Championships in Miramichi, NB.
- Baseball Atlantic 15U “AA” Championships: Stratford Athletics
- Led by Joey Cheverie, Stratford won both the 15U “AA” Eliminations and the Provincial 15U “AA” Championships this summer. Stratford finished the regular season 7-4-1, good for second place in the 15U “AA” circuit and they have a habit of coming up big when it counts. There is little question the Athletics will be ready when the first pitch this thrown in Conception Bay North, NL, at the Baseball Atlantic 15U “AA” Championships.
- Baseball Canada National Atlantic 13U Championships: Capital District Islanders (PEI #1) and Summerside Chevys (PEI#2)
- Capital District, defending Baseball Canada National Atlantic 13U Champions, won the Mitch MacLean Memorial Trophy as 2019 Provincial 13U “AAA” Champions on Labour Day weekend. Head coach K.J. White led the Islanders to a 9-6 record in the ultra-competitive 13U “AAA” league, good for second place, and are coming into form at the right time of year. The Summerside Chevys, coached by Wes Echlin, finished third in the 13U “AAA” league with an 8-7 record, and have a great deal of experience in their squad (including several players who represented PEI at the National 13U Championships, and several players who competed in the 2018 Baseball Canada National Atlantic 13U Championships). Both teams are looking for medals in Dartmouth, NS, at this event from 12-15 September 2019.
- Baseball Atlantic 13U “AA” Championships: Western Mariners
- The Western Mariners finished second to the Summerside Chevys in the 13U “AA” league with a record of 10-2. That being said, coached by Ghislain Bernard and Harvey Myers, the Mariners are an extremely balanced team with good pitching and were undefeated in the 2019 Baseball PEI Provincial 13U “AA” Championships, including defeating Summerside in the final. Expect Western to achieve success in Springhill, NS at the 2019 Baseball Atlantic 13U “AA” Championships, as the core of this team won silver at the Baseball Atlantic 11U “AA” Championships two years ago.
- Baseball Atlantic 11U “AAA” Championships: Mid-Isle Cougars
- The Eastern Express won both the 2017 and 2018 Baseball Atlantic 11U “AAA” Championships, and finished first in the 2019 11U “AAA” league and finished the round-robin for the 2019 Baseball PEI Provincial 11U “AAA” Championships with a record of 4-0. Enter Mid-Isle, who finished second in the 11U “AAA” league with a 10-6 record, finished the round-robin with a 3-1 record, meaning they had to defeat Eastern twice to win Provincials. However, Mid-Isle did inflict two of Eastern’s three losses in the regular season, and they indeed did beat Eastern twice in the Championship round to win the 2019 Provincial 11U “AAA” Championship. The Cougars have Scott Ellsworth as head coach and worked very hard all year in developing pitchers and it paid off handsomely. Mid-Isle is looking to make things happen at the 2019 Baseball Atlantic 11U “AAA” Championships in Fredericton, NB.
- Baseball Atlantic 11U “AA” Championships: Western Mariners and Sherwood/Parkdale Knights
- Jarod Colwill’s Western squad finished the 2019 11U “AA” league with a record of 8-4, and won the gruelling 2019 Baseball PEI Provincial 11U “AA” Championships, defeating Stratford in the final. Western has lots of hitting, has very solid pitching and defence, and will look to inflict damage at the 2019 Baseball Atlantic 11U “AA” Championships in Sherwood/Parkdale. Sherwood/Parkdale, who will also be playing at the Baseball Atlantic 11U “AA” Championships as the host team, had a trying regular season with a 4-7-1 record. However, head coach Travis Deacon has been working hard with this group, and they look to be competitive at this event.
Baseball PEI already has two medals at Baseball Atlantic Championships, with Summerside winning gold and Cardigan winning silver at the Baseball Atlantic 18U “AA” Championships in Summerside, PE on Labour Day weekend. PEI also had a team at the 2019 Baseball Atlantic 14U Girls Championships, but that team went 0-4.
Baseball PEI wishes all teams success that these upcoming Baseball Atlantic Championships!