PEI has sent a team to the Baseball Canada National 16U Girls Championships each of the past two years. However, during both seasons, without help from Nova Scotia, PEI would not have been able to field a team. Baseball PEI has run a few camps and Jamborees for female players over the past three years, with varying degrees of success. Girls' baseball on PEI has had a decent start but there is a long way to go. And Baseball PEI needs your help.
In 2020, Summerside is hosting the Baseball Canada National 16U Girls Championships. Baseball PEI is very excited about this, as this could be a really big boost for girls’ baseball here on PEI. That being said, in order to get the full boost of hosting this Championship in 2020, PEI will need to field a team.
Here’s where your help can come in – Baseball PEI is hosting a meeting on Wednesday, 28 November at Sport PEI (40 Enman Crescent, Charlottetown), Room 212, starting at 6:30 pm. This meeting is open to all people interested in strengthening girls' baseball on PEI.
Here’s a tentative agenda for that meeting:
- How do we get more girls playing baseball?
- How do we get more girls playing baseball at the younger ages, and continue to play baseball at the 13U levels and above?
- What mindset has to change for girls’ baseball to become more successful?
- Across the country, the more opportunities girls have to play on all-girls teams and leagues, the more girls are interested in playing baseball (and do play baseball). We don’t have those numbers at this point. How do we get to this point?
- Our relationship with softball, in regards to promoting to girls that the baseball community is okay if they play both (if they wish).
- Our “champion”
- Usually, a community/area needs a “champion” to order to establish a program. Is there a potential champion(s) for girls’ baseball on PEI?
- If so, how do we find that person or people?
- Provincial 16U Girls team
- How do we make it more appealing to play on a Provincial 16U girls team, representing PEI at the Baseball Canada National 16U Girls Championships?
- Is there a way to field an all-PEI team in 2019 (in Bedford, NS)? How do we build for an all-PEI team in 2020 (in Summerside)?
- There is an Atlantic 14U girls' competition. Is there a way to get interest to field a team at this event (we sent a team in 2016 and won the event)?
- What are we missing here? What points are not listed that need to be considered in order for girls baseball to grow and to be successful?
If you are interested but cannot attend this meeting, please email Randy at email@example.com or give me a call at 902-368-4203 and give him your feedback or points you think Baseball PEI should investigate/consider.
Baseball PEI hopes to see you on Wednesday, 28 November at